To experience the Tour fully, run your mouse over the numbers as you go from one, to two, and so on, to the end, revealing the associated text at each stop. A full version of the text is available at the bottom of the page.
1. Lot 1061 Juniper Path - FOULIS Lot - ROBERT FOULIS - 1796-1866
- Born in Scotland, - engineer and artist (painting). Foulis
was a partner in an iron foundry. He also competed a survey
of the Saint John River from Fredericton to Grand Falls in 1826,
designed a steam powered boat used on the Saint John River,
started a school, was one of the founders of the New Brunswick
Museum, and was an inventor. He became most well known for his
invention of the fog horn, the first of which was erected on
Partridge Island. Foulis' invention was virtually stolen by
an American, Dobell, who patented it and sold it worldwide.
Mr. Foulis never received a penny for his invention and spent
his last years in poverty and blindness. In the 1920's and 1930's
his many contribution were recognized by the St. Andrew's Society,
Glasgow University and the Government of Canada.
2. STATUES - Several of the many in the Cemetery are featured
3. Lot 1229 - Hazel Path - THOMAS McAVITY - 1810-1887 - Born
in Saint John, MCAvity served as Mayor of the city and was the
founder of T. McAvity & Sons, one of the largest and most
successful hardware and brass foundry firms in Canada at the
time. One of its products can be seen throughout Canada and
other countries to this day. Just stop and look at the fire
hydrants in most of the older sections of this and many other
towns and cities: the name moulded in the casting is "McAVITY".
4. Lot 3025 Cherry Path - GEORGE FREDERICK PHILLIPS - Died
June 4, 1904. Mr. Phillips was one of very few Canadians to
have received the U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor. He was
born at Coles Island, NB and died at Cambridgeport, Massachusetts.
He was a Navy engineer on the steamship USS Merrimac which sunk
in Santiago de Cuba harbour on June 2, 1898 during the Spanish-American
War. From comments made at a graveside ceremony in 1989 held
by the Medal of Honour Society, Mr. Phillips "displayed
extraordinary heroism throughout this operation".
5. CHAPEL/COLUMBARIUM/CREMATORIUM Building.
6. Lot 2 - GILBERT - Located on what was known as Prospect
Point, the Gilbert Lot was part of the original land acquired
by the Cemetery from Henry Gilbert. Mr. Gilbert, in retaining
this ground for his family, deemed it for use by any of his
descendents. It is a circular lot with a monument in the centre
inscribed with the family name. There are three circles of graves
and a roadway completely around the perimeter. Flat grave covers
indicate the used graves. A trust, still administered by the
family, continues to provide for the upkeep and care of the
7. Lot 10 - Spruce Avenue - CAMPBELL - In this lot rests GEORGEANNA
CAMPBELL, 1831- 1848 who was the first person buried in the
Cemetery on March 8, 1848. She was the niece one of the Cemetery
founders. A person on the Tour may notice that there are earlier
death dates on some monuments. This occurred because some families
purchased lots and moved in family members from other cemeteries
where room was no longer available, in order for all to be buried
8. Lot 698 Snowdrop Path - JOHN A. MUNROE - Died February 15,
1870. Mr. Munroe was as Architect and only 29 when he died.
Although a married man, he took up with a young woman, Maggie
Vail, and had a child with her. When the child was less than
a year old, the mother and child were murdered (1868) at a spot
just off the Black River Road (then on the East side of the
city), but the remains were not discovered until a year later.
John Munroe was charged with the double murders, was found guilty
and sentenced to death. Although his father pleaded with the
Governor General, and a petition from 2,000 people was presented,
the death sentence was carried out. For many years, a white
handkerchief was tied to a tree to mark the site of this tragedy.
A copy of "The Maggie Vail Story" by Ruby Cusack can
be obtained from the author.
9. Lot 1919 Iris Path - NELSON Lot - JOHN FREDERICK YOUNG died
at 19 years of age on Oct. 13, 1890 and is buried in this lot.
A public memorial is erected in King's Square to recognize his
heroism in giving his life in the rescue of Frederick E. Mundee
from drowning in Courtenay Bay. Mr. Young was raised by Helen A.
Nelson, who is buried in this lot along with her brother,
Edwin G. Nelson. He was a book seller and authored the song
My Own Canadian Home, sung in NB schools for many years.
10. The REST HOUSE or PAVILLION - This is located on Central
Avenue and was built in 1898 and was restored in 1991. Streetcars
started their runs to the Cemetery in 1914. A favourite story
is that of families making a day of visiting the Cemetery by
taking the streetcar from town (3 miles away) and bringing a
lunch. They would visit their families' lots, tidying them up
if necessary, and then would lunch at the rest house and return
home on the afternoon streetcar.
11. The RUEL Fountain - The fountain was donated to the Cemetery
in 1895 by Mr. James R. Ruel, President of the Board of Directors
at the time. The fountain was made of cast iron with the figure
of a woman in the center and goat heads around the outside.
Water flowed from the goat heads into the large circular ground
level section at the bottom. Time has taken its toll on the
statue and the goat heads are no longer there because the cost of
replacing them has always been prohibitive.
12. Lots 3893 and 5931 - These are the Naval/Military and DVA
plots and the first burial took place May 4, 1916. Veterans
from both World Wars are interred here and the lots have been
filled for some time. The impressive monument and the flagpoles
on the lots were donated by the I.O.D.E.
13. Lot 2397 on Mimosa Path - SIR SAMUEL LEONARD TILLEY - 1818-1896
-One of the more prominent Fathers of Confederation, Sir Samuel
was born in Gagetown, NB, and held a seat on four different
occasions in the NB government prior to the confederation. He
was a supporter of the railway and was Minister of Customs (1867-1873)
in Sir John A. MacDonald's first government. He was also a former
Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick on two occasions (1873-1878
and 1885-1893), and was Minister of Finance (1878-1885), again
in Sir John A. MacDonald's government. His wife was Lady Alice
Starr Tilley. A National Historical Bronze Plaque adorns this
14. Lot 1691 on Linden Avenue - The HONORABLE WILLIAM HENRY
STEEVES - 1814-1873 - Born in Hillsboro, NB, The Honorable Mr.
Steeves was another of Canada's Fathers of Confederation, and
was in the mercantile and lumber export business. He served
in various positions in the NB Government from 1854 to 1867,
at which time he was called to the Senate (one of the original
12 Senators from NB). He served in the Senate until his death.
His wife was Mary Steeves. A National Historical Bronze Plaque
also adorns this site.
15. Lot 3608 - Central Avenue - The Turnbull Lot - Dr. W. RUPERT
TURNBULL , 1870-1954, was born in Saint John, NB. As an aeronautical
engineer, he built the first wind tunnel in Canada in 1902 at
his private laboratory in Rothesay, NB. From this lab, he also
collaborated with other inventors such as Alexander Graham Bell
and J.H. Parkin. His greatest invention was the variable-pitch
propeller, tested in flight in 1927. He licensed it for manufacture
and it was used worldwide. Today, his propeller is on display
in the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa, and additional details
are on display at our local airport.
16. Lot 1186 on Central Avenue - WIGGINS Vault - The vault
was erected in 1868, and while the Cemetery has two other vaults,
the Appleby and Reynold Vaults, Wiggins is the largest and most
elaborate. There have only been four entombments made in vault,
and while there is very little recorded about the burials in
it, Wiggins was a very prominent name in the community at the
17. CHURCH OF ENGLAND SECTION - Shortly after the Cemetery
opened, sixteen acres of land, encompassed by Hill Avenue, was
set aside for the Church of England. On October 23, 1849, The
Right Reverend Bishop Medley, Lord Bishop of Fredericton, consecrated
the ground. Only Church of England congregation members were
buried in this area.
18. JEWISH CEMETERY - In 1873, The Cemetery started to sell
lots in the Southeast corner of its lands to Jewish families.
One or two families purchased a few large areas, and one such
fenced area on the Westmorland Road is known as Green-Hart Cemetery.
The Congregation Shaarei Zedek purchased the rest of the land
in this corner and erected a beautiful stone Chapel. Louis B.
Mayer, the movie mogul, contributed toward the cost in memory
his mother who is buried in the cemetery, and a brass plaque
recognizing this adorns the outer left wall of the Chapel. While
the last section of land in this corner is known as the Shaarei
Zedek Cemetery, most people today refer to this whole section as
the Jewish Cemetery and it is one of the best kept Hebrew Cemeteries